School Liaison

The Air Force School Liaison Office helps ease the impact of the mobile military lifestyle for children. Seymour Johnson’s School Liaison provides information prior to a move, upon arrival, and while stationed at an installation. One of the important roles of the School Liaison is to connect families, schools, and the military community in order to facilitate the educational transition and academic experience of military children.

Purpose: Connect Families, Schools & Community

We aim to deliver unparalleled educational advocacy, outreach, and partnerships for military-connected students at SJAFB!

Monthly Webinars

Sign Up For Free. Call for Info.

This is what I do for you - the seven Cs of CYES

I work with you and your family to find the best fit for public, private, charter, virtual or
homeschooled educational settings for your child.

  • Connecting schools, families, and communities to meet the unique needs of PreK-12 military-connected students
  • Cultivate communication pathways between families, schools, community stakeholders and the military
  • Customize real-time solutions for military-connected students facing transitional barriers and educational gaps
  • Collaborate with community stakeholders to build a platform for enhanced educational opportunities and partnerships
  • Comprehensive professional development for educators to understand the military lifestyle
  • Construct a network of extensive resources for building resilient communities
  • Create a system of support for military-connected students experiencing parental deployment or separation

Programs & Services

Transitioning to a New School Checklist

  • Contact your Airman and Family Readiness Center, Relocation Program, for information on your gaining installation and surrounding communities and obtain a Military Installation Guide at Military One Source.
  • Visit the web page for both the state’s Department of Public Instruction and the local County/District School system. If going overseas, visit the DODEA homepage.
  • Contact the housing office at the gaining installation to determine the waiting period for on-base quarters. This may determine the school your child will attend. If you will be in temporary housing, contact your School Liaison Officer for assistance.
  • Check the new school calendar for starting and ending dates.
  • Familiarize yourself with transferring of records, school eligibility requirements (kindergarten age), and subsequent placement of the students.
  • If you have a child of high school age, get information on the gaining state’s high school graduation requirements. Be familiar with the present and gaining the school’s grading system and weighted grades. This may affect your child’s class standing/grade point average (GPA).
  • Give the losing school(s) adequate notice of withdrawal.
  • Hand-carry all recommended school records. DO NOT PUT THESE RECORDS IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD GOODS!
  • Contact the School Liaison Officer and school counselor for assistance.

Transitioning a Special Needs Student Checklist

  • Contact your local special education counselor/director and request assistance as to what should be done before the transition to the new school. Write or contact the special education director for the district that you are going to and request local policies. If coming to Seymour Johnson AFB, contact the Wayne County Public Schools Exceptional Children Program Staff at 919.705.6027 for assistance.
  • Schedule an Annual Review and Dismissal (ARD) meeting to discuss the progress your child has made since your last Individualized Education Program (IEP) review. Ask for written suggestions that may help your child and the staff at the new school.
  • Request a copy of your child’s complete educational record to include a copy of the latest IEP. Hand-carry all records, samples of your child’s work, and other information related to your child’s education.
  • Contact the local Exceptional Family Member Program, Special Needs Coordinator (SJAFB 919.722.0809 or DSN 722.0809) for assistance with identifying resources at your new duty station. You may also contact the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) Family Support Coordinator at the Airman and Family Readiness Center (SJAFB 919.722.1123 or DSN 722.1123). Be sure to take any special equipment and refill medication prescriptions that your child may need for the next few months.
  • Contact the School Liaison Officer to assist with transitioning your child to the new school.

North Carolina Schooling Information Links

Upcoming Events